Autumn - 2nd half term 2021
This half term we are fully into the swing of Year 1 and the children have settled in fantastically.
As excited as we all are for Christmas fun, we have been learning lots of fantastic things in our lessons.
We kicked off the half term with Science/Geography and looked at Autumn. We had great fun being scientists and conducting our investigations while studying the Autumn weather as well as discussing all the changes that occur.
In English we are reading the classic story of Dogger and using this as the basis for all of our writing.
In Maths we are continuing with addition and subtraction of numbers to 10 and looking at lots of different methods to help us.
In History we are learning all about Toys and how they have changed over the years. This is a fantastic opportunity for the children to learn about how things they know and love have changed over the years and to find out what toys their grandparents might have played with.
In RE we are keeping with Christmas and looking at why Christmas is important for Christians, and looking at the nativity story.
In computing we are learning about cameras and photographs and will be making our own photo stories.
In PSHE we will be learning about how to be a good friend and also learning about different hazards at home and in school and learning about the correct way to respond to a hazard and how to keep ourselves safe.
In Design and Technology we will be designing and making our own moving toy. The children have had some fantastic design ideas and we can’t wait to see the finished products.
We are very lucky in Year 1 to have a number of volunteers who visit our school each week to listen to the children read. The children love these extra opportunities and they definitely make a difference.
Please continue to read with your children at home as much as possible – every little helps.
We are of course looking forward to our Christmas build up and we have lots of fun and exciting things and events planned! Information about these will be sent out over the next couple of weeks.
As always we are available to discuss any aspects of your child’s learning/school life and should you want an appointment please contact the school office so that an appointment can be made.
Thank you for your continued support and understanding.
The Year 1 Team.
4 September 2020
Dear Parents / Carers
We are so excited to finally have all of the children back in school and back to a bit of normality. The children have all settled into their new classes extremely well and we are certain that we are going to have a fantastic year together.
· Please make sure that all clothing and footwear is labelled with your child’s name or initials. We encourage the children to take responsibility for their own belongings, however we know that sometimes mix ups do happen. By labelling their clothes we can quickly reunite clothing with their owners.
· Children must bring a water bottle to school each day. While we do have a limited number of cups available, they are single use only and must be thrown out each day. Water bottles are available from the school office.
· Your child must bring their reading book, reading record and book bag to school every day.
· PE is on Tuesday and will be taught by Mr Hennis, our PE Coach. For the first term children are only required to bring trainers or plimsolls to school (these are to be kept in a bag in school).
· The children will also have Forest School every Tuesday with Mrs Lee. If possible, we ask children to bring in a pair of wellies, however we do have plenty of spares in school so it is not necessary for you to go out to buy some especially.
· Each Friday a child will be chosen to take home our class puppy for the weekend – to be returned Monday. (Don’t worry, it’s just a teddy!) Our puppy loves cuddles and is the perfect companion for story time.
· If a relative or friend unknown to us is collecting your child from school, please let us know beforehand or inform the office. For your child’s safety, we will not be able to release children to adults that we do not know.
· Your child will bring home two reading books. One book is to practise their reading skills and should be read by your child and recorded in their Reading Record. This book must be returned to school every day.
· The other is a “Book for Enjoyment”. This is a book that your child has chosen themselves from our bookcase and can be enjoyed together. The children will choose this book on a Friday, to be returned the following Friday. The children will only be able to choose a new book on return of the previous.
· We will aim to change your child’s book on a Friday if we feel that they are confident reading it. We recommend parents/carers to try and read with their child a minimum of twice a week, more frequently if possible. Please write a comment in their Reading Record each time they read.
· Every Friday, children will be given spelling homework and maths homework, to be completed and returned the following Friday. This homework will be based on what your child is learning in class that week. The children will have a spelling test each Friday.
· In Year 1 we do not use SeeSaw, but a programme called dbprimary. Your child’s log in details and instructions have been sent home. Weekly homework will also be uploaded here each week, if you do not manage to get the paper copy completed. If your child is required to isolate because of Covid, their lessons will be uploaded here for them to complete to ensure they do not fall behind.
· Your child will also be given a project relating to our current topic. Each activity within the project will be worth points and you must earn 20 points to complete the homework. You will have until the holidays to complete this and it can be presented in a number of ways.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact us via the office or through dbprimary and we will get in touch as soon as possible.
We thank you for continued support.
Miss Smith and Miss Egglestone.